Sunday, June 30, 2013

It's About Respect

I spent this past week at a conference where I listened to many presenters speak about, in summary, fitting in, finding a place in society where one can feel equal with a yearning for respect, NOT pity, but respect, equality.  I found myself pondering the points made and thinking about my own actions, or reactions, to those who are different than me.  I have taken independence and dignity for granted.  This week made me realize how closely those are tied to our sense of "self worth" and the pride that comes from accomplishing things on one's own.  I know what I am sharing is not ground breaking or some big revelation; it's merely reflection.

It is good, I think, to "reflect" on our level of sensitivity, to be cognizant of how we approach others and how we can be better "listeners" and not "reactors."  I am a "fixer."  Fixing is what comes to me naturally.  There is a problem, I seek solution, I do research, I do my homework, and I find tools to help, to guide, to make things better.  In my flurry of "doing" I am not always being an "active" listener. 

Today, this day, I will begin to actively "listen."


"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them"



No comments:

Post a Comment