Monday, February 24, 2014

Shaved & Tapered

    It's 200 Fly time.  Kevin is in the "window" viewing area.  I think it's because he's nervous and cannot sit still.  We know this is his last event; we want our son to finish strong and with some self-satisfaction that all of his hard work has paid off.  I decided my view from the top of this beautiful pool is too far from his swim.  I make my way down the stairs and out the double doors.  I navigate myself over to "enemy" territory (Navy's cheering section) and enter quietly with the Nikon on my hip.  Do I take pictures or video?  Which would he prefer?  Coach Brian has the iPad, taking video.  I will do pictures.  Kevin sees me.  He leaves his perch at the window; I know he's coming to be nervous with me!!!  Hey, there he is stealth and swift -- Kevin, I mean!  Let's hope Cole has inherited those characteristics, especially now!  Hey, there he is, shaved and looking white -- Cole, I mean.  He has his Loyola cap on, and he looks focused.  God, please be with him; help him to feel like a dolphin in the water, stealth and swift!! 
    He's on the block, my heart is in my throat -- you could hear a pin drop!  I chirp out my usual, "Let's go, Bear"!  I really wanted to scream, "Let the animal out of its cage!"  (an inside joke) I know the Navy people are all around me; I decided to err on the side of caution and stick with my usual "line"!  They're off.  He always has a fast start, quick reactions he and his brother inherited from Dad.  I'm so happy about that!  His underwaters are excellent.  I cannot breath until he does.  He's coming up!  His walls look better today, less hanging and more quick-touch and he's off!  He is swimming with conviction; I can see it in his stroke.  When you are a mom of a swimmer, you know your child's stroke so well that you can tell if it holds trepidation or power or confidence.  I like what I'm seeing.  Dang, I missed the split because I was clicking away.  Thank goodness for the "action shot" ability on the camera, as it snaps away!!! 
   We (Kev & I) determine he is looking strong.  As he approaches the walls he is fighting for it, pushing his swim.  Looking good, Son!!  Third leg, he is tired, but he is fighting.  Go, Bear, hang on.  He turns to come home.  The 200 Fly is brutal.  I am so proud he can even swim it!!!  Yet, he is coming home strong.  I can't bear to look at the clock and jinx it.  Come on, Son, hit that wall!!!  I look up, YES!  He reaches his "goal" time, 3 seconds off his personal best!  His season is over.  He is happy, we are excited that he will feel good about his finish this year.  Bettering times in all his swims was the goal, and he did.  This was the "race" he was waiting for, and he fought for every stroke.  Well done, Son, well done! 
   Patriot League Conference, these Loyola swimmers will be back; you can count on it!!!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment